Before diving into the deep end of this episode, I wanted to again extend an invitation to you to participate in the upcoming “Episode of Encouragement”. This show, which will serve as the Season 1 finale, will give you the opportunity to be a blessing to everyone involved in music ministry around the world and across time.
God calls us to build each other up, so the “Episode of Encouragement” will give you the opportunity to do it by recording a word of encouragement you’d like to share with others. Record an mp3 of your encouragement, affirmation, a special scripture, a prayer, or maybe even a tip to help a team or guitarist to play better, practice more efficiently, or connect with God during a service. Whatever God puts on your heart, put it in a recording and email it to me: email@example.com .
I’ve got one of those smart watches that tells me what my heart rate is, how many steps I’ve taken, how much exercise I’ve done, and a whole bunch of other stuff I can’t figure out how to use. I’m grateful for it, though, because I can get a pretty quick idea what’s out of whack if I don’t feel right.
As far as I know, they haven’t come out with a smart watch with a band that can stretch around a music ministry team yet, but thankfully, I don’t think we’ll need one, because we’ve our friend Richie Allen!
Richie Allen is a worshipper, coach and pastor with over 28 years of experience in executive, creative and music ministry at well-established churches and highly-successful church plants (you will not believe the story about his church-planting experience!). During our conversation, Richie shared some general observations about music ministry across our faith, as well as some very specific advice for worshippers who are playing guitar on music ministry teams. This is another one of those “maybe I should take some notes” kind of episodes…
I did want to zoom in on one thing that Richie shared, and it pertained to Psalm 19:14. I’m not going to spoil the treasure he drops concerning that particular verse, but I want to encourage you to spend time unpacking the chapter. Upon considering it myself, I noticed that the psalm reminded me of a perfectly-crafted Sunday morning set. It moves from the exhilarating declaration of God’s identity and attributes, into the extoling the value and worthiness of His commandments, and finally into bridging a deeply personal plea for forgiveness and the ramifications of that forgiveness. If you’re looking for a place to worship, Psalm 19 is the spot!
It’s all about “Mission: Perfect Pick” around here, as we are going to find the best plectrum on the planet! Yes, I said WE. And yes, you’ll be compensated for your participation! Well, one of you will, at least. 🙂
I talk all about what’s happening during the show, but I also said I’d explain it here in the show notes, so here goes:
For Finding the Finalists
- You’re going to need to follow @godguitarsandgear on Instagram.
- From July 27 through August 2, I’ll be posting pics of each tested pick. Watch for them, decide which pick you like and like that post.
- I’m going to factor fan faves into the grading, so your vote will help me determine which pick I pick to be the Perfect Pick.
Crowning the Winner
- On August 3, Ep10 will drop, and in that episode, I’ll announce the three finalists. That same day, I’ll also post a photo of those finalists on Instagram. Look for that post, and comment on which pick will win.
- When I choose the winner, I’ll go through that post and jot down a list of everyone who picked the winning pick.
- After I make sure they’re following the show, I’ll put the handles in a hat and draw one winner.
- I’ll buy the winner a pack of the winning picks! (Yes, I’d love to buy you a lifetime supply or something like that, but this show’s marketing budget is right around $0.)
Looking forward to getting everybody’s take on the different picks in the shootout, and I cannot wait to pick the Perfect Pick!
I am SO EXCITED to have Unspoken’s Zachery Smith on the show! He’s an amazing guitarist, a fabulous guy, and he loves the Lord like CRAZY. You don’t want to miss the cool stories, the great insight and the killer tips he shares with me. But if you’re looking for the first guest to ace Quick Hitters, don’t hold your breath.
Ty Caskey – Ty wrote and performed the God, Guitars & Gear theme, and he also cranked out all that cool guitar wizardry that pops throughout each episode. Connect with Ty:
Ambient Trails – AT does the well, ambient trails you hear in the background of every episode. Hear more Ambient Trails on Instagram ( @ambienttrails )